The BCCI AGM and elections are scheduled to be held on October 18 in Mumbai. The elections are for five posts – President, Vice President, Secretary, Joint Secretary, and Treasurer. And as it will be in the headlines recently in view of the Supreme Court’s decision. This allows current board president Sourav Ganguly and secretary Jay Shah to contest another term.
The BCCI is set to hold its AGM and elections on October 18 in Mumbai
ICC Tax Matters: Will Sourav Ganguly and Jay Shah be re-elected, as they are now eligible for additional terms? Also on the agenda.
Shah on Thursday sent a notice to all state associations – listing what is on the agenda of the AGM. It contains all the updates of “On ICC Matters” and “ICC Tax Matters”.
BCCI will seek tax exemption from the government
With the next ODI World Cup to be held in India in late 2023, the ICC will seek a tax exemption from the Indian government for the event, which will have to be bought by the BCCI. This has the request of the global body from BCCI for the previous ICC events held in the country.
Till now BCCI failed to get tax exemption from the Government of India
The last ICC event in India was the 2016 T20 World Cup and the ICC did not get tax exemption at that time. Following this, it withdrew around US$20–30 million from the BCCI’s share of the central revenue pool. In 2020, the ICC threatened to move the 2021 T20 World Cup – originally scheduled for India. But the latter was held in the UAE due to the COVID-19 pandemic – as the BCCI failed to obtain tax exemptions from the Indian government.
Also on the agenda of the BCCI meeting will be whether it wants to nominate a candidate to replace Greg Barkley for the ICC Presidential elections to be held in November this year. The new term for the ICC President starts in December.
Another point on the agenda was the inaugural women’s IPL. Ganguly recently said that it will start early next year.
Other points on the agenda included:
- The election and inclusion of a representative of the general body in the Supreme Council
- Inclusion of two representatives (one male and one female) from the Indian Cricketers’ Association (ICA) in the Apex Council
- Election and inclusion of two representatives of the General Assembly in the IPL Governing Council
- Induction of an ICA representative in the IPL Governing Council
- Appointment of Lokpal and Ethics Officer
- Appointment of Cricket Committees and Standing Committees
- Assignment of umpire committee
- To appoint a representative or representatives of the BCCI in the ICC or any similar organization
- Updates on the affairs of the National Cricket Academy
- Updates on India’s Future Tour itineraries